Chronological synthesis of the history of the Airbase Kleine Brogel- 10th Wing.

Second World War
Forming the 10th Wing
Thunderjet period
Thunderstreak period
F-104G Starfighter period
F-16 Fighting Falcon period

Second World War

December 15, 1944:
The 16th Airfield Construction Group, Royal Engineers (GB) starts the construction of a temporary airfield on a predetermined location outside the village of 'Petit-Broghel' (Kleine-Brogel). Its infrastructure should include a landing strip, taxi tracks and aircraft revetments. This airfield is given the codename B90 (B for British, American airfields get the prefix A).

B90 is specifically build in support of  the British 2nd Tactical Air Force (2ATAF) in order to keep up with the ground troops advancing since Normandy and to supply air cover during the preparation and execution of the upcoming Rhine crossing by the allied troops (Operation Plunder).

March 1, 1945:
B90 Kleine-Brogel becomes operational with the arrival of the 127th Wing, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), consisting of 403rd, 416th, 421st and 443rd Squadron, all equipped with Spitfires XVI E. This wing is joined by the 39th Recce Wing RCAF, consisting of 400th Sqn, equipped with Spitfires PR XI, 414th Sqn, equipped with Spitfires FR IX and 430th Sqn, equipped with Spitfires FR XIV.
March 23-24, 1945:

Operation ‘Varsity’, the air campaign in support of the crossing of the Rhine river at Wesel, (D), is initiated. The 127th Wing provides air cover for the aerial armada and Airborne Troops. The 39th Wing flies photographic and visual reconnaissance missions in preparation of this operation and for ‘Battle Damage Assessment’ (evaluation of damage after air raids).
March 25-31, 1945:
Both Wings patrol above Germany.
March 31 , 1945:
The 127th Wing moves to Eindhoven (NL).

April 9-10, 1945:
The 39th Wing leaves Kleine-Brogel and moves to Rheine (D).
End of September, 1945:
The last of the RCAF personnel leave Kleine-Brogel.
October 8, 1945:
The installations are handed over to a Belgian Detachment.
Mach 26, 1945:
The Belgian government states that the Belgian Armed Forces have no further need for the airfield.

The original owners reclaim their properties.